We all do it every day - grooming our horse. Some love it, some hate it. Especially those of us with grey horses know the struggle of grooming the horse to be nice and clean
But even if you don't like grooming very much (which to be fair, is actually also very understandable, most of the dust and hair lands back on us anyway), it is a very important part of the daily routine - and as such, requires you to have some good grooming tools and brushes.
Why groom every day?
Grooming can be a nice moment for quality time with your horse. Especially for young, inexperienced horses or when you've only just bought a new horse, it's the perfect time of your day to get to know each other better, share a nice moment and some cuddles, and develop a bond. But besides your connection with the horse, it's also an important moment for a health check. Little wounds, weird patches on the skin, rubbed mane and tail, swelling or inflammation and other health issues can most easily be found when grooming. So make sure to give your horse a good clean, checking for anything out of the ordinary.
Setting up a grooming routine
Grooming a horse properly comes with lots of steps. Most people have some sort of routine in place, depending on what works for them and their horses. There's a lot of different brushes you can use - or not use, whatever works best for you.
The HandsOn grooming glove has also become an absolute favourite for many equestrians and especially their horses. And of course, we've also all heard of the Magic Brush before, that has become a staple piece in many grooming bags or boxes.
What other brushes are there, though?
- Curry comb: The curry comb is a round brush, usually made of rubber but also available as a sturdier metal version for total mud monsters. This is usually the first step in the grooming routine. Use the brush with circular motions over the body to get rid of dirt, dust and loose hairs. It also makes for a nice little massage!
- Body brush: The body brush is perfect for getting rid of dust and making the coat shine again. Get rid of all the dust and hairs you just whirled up with the curry comb with a soft body brush!
- Dandy brush: Dandy brushes have harder bristles, which makes them ideal for getting rid of some harder to get dirt spots. Especially for the legs or a quick brush over the body, a dandy brush is fantastic!
- Face brush: The face is of course a very sensitive part of the horse's body, so a teeny-tiny, soft face brush is the go-to for cleaning around faces!
- Hoofpick: Picking the hooves is so, so important! Get rid of all the dirt, mud, straw, whatever may be stuck in there with the pick and brush the hoof clean with the brush side.
- Mane and tail brushes: Unless you think your horse looks cool with dreadlocks, regularly brushing mane and tail is advised! To make brushing through all the hair easier, you can also use detangler sprays or other mane/tail care items.
Here at Epplejeck, you can also simply get an entire grooming set at once, saving you the hard choice what exactly you need to get. And of course, for those times that you want to give your horse an extra nice spa day, we also offer massage brushes and various grooming gloves. If you want to keep all your grooming tools nicely stored away together and also have them look good while doing so, you can find the coolest grooming bags and boxes here!
Other items for all your grooming needs
If you don't want your horse to look like a cuddly, furry teddy bear in the winter or live in particularly warm climate where your horse is easy to sweat even when standing around, you can find a variety of clippers and anything that's needed for a good body clip at Epplejeck. Competitive rider? We got you covered for all your plaiting needs.
Has horsey spa day come around again? Not only do we carry a bunch of different shampoos, we also have sponges and other accessories to get your horse sparkling clean again!
Grooming supplies at Epplejeck
Give your horse the wellness and spa day it truly deserves! Buy all the grooming supplies you may need at Epplejeck from the comfort of your home. Our virtual doors are open 24/7 for you and ordering is quick and easy. We always strive to send out your package just a few days after your order comes in, so your wait time is minimal. If something doesn’t fit, simply send it back to us within 30 days – no questions asked!